Monday, November 03, 2008

Finally, a gay-spirit election video

I am so sick of election propaganda that I almost didn’t watch this video, “Love Poem (No on 8)” even though I oppose Proposition 8, which bans same-sex marriage. A friend sent me the video link, so I took a chance on it. I was amazed and uplifted by the video. It shows a wide variety of people reading one of the world’s great poems about love, I Corinthians 13 in the Bible. The video adds a lovely visual surprise ending after the Bible reading. It’s the famous chapter that includes these lines: “If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal… Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends; as for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away… So faith, hope, love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.” It’s enlightening to consider the scripture in the context of the election tomorrow. For example, today’s politicians may speak with the tongues of angels, but do they have love? Or are they just noisy gongs?

No comments: